Friday, September 7, 2007

I'll Be Trading In My Tricycle

I see plenty of strange things working in the car business, but the other day I saw something completely fresh and new.

Standing in the showroom, I saw a Dodge Durango pull on the lot and cruise slowly around, stopping briefly several times before disappearing behind the building.  Moments later, it reappeared on the other side and stopped.  The right rear passenger door popped open and a boy who could not possibly have been a day over age ten got out.

I took a deep breath and readied myself to greet the rest of the family, but no one else emerged.  The boy walked around the car, walked down the row of cars in front of the showroom and looked inside each, noting the price on the window sticker.

I shot a glance back at the Durango and saw 'Dad' shouting orders at the boy.  I've seen people run for their cars at my approach, had people yell at me for saying hi but never once have I had someone so mortified of talking to a salesman that they shove their own child out the door and onto the lot.

What kind of family dynamic is that?  And how big of a sissy do you have to be to send your ten year old out to look so you don't have to talk to me?

I walked out the door, cruised right past the Durango, and introduced myself to the kid, handing him a business card in full view of the stunned family.

The things I have to deal with.

Technorati tags: , , ,