Wednesday, May 17, 2006

The Mandatory Da Vinci Code Post

With all the madness going on around 'The Da Vinci Code' I'd hoped to manage to avoid posting on it, since pretty much everyone else in the civilized world with a blog probably already has. Unfortunately, I caught wind of an article linked on Drudge this morning that forced my hand.

I understand that people always have and likely will mock and denigrate Christianity. As Christians, we expect it. As such, the fact that the 'Da Vinci Code' is the talk of the entertainment world doesn't bother me. It disturbs me that so many people believe it, but I'm not threatened by it in any way. What does bother me is how it is being parlayed into dozens of 'Dissecting the Da Vinci Code' specials and giving it such serious treatment. By bother me, I mean that it makes me wonder if there's really nothing better to plug into the programming schedule. I do understand the motivation though, obviously the networks are trying to capitalize on the hype surrounding the 'Code.'

I haven't read it cover to cover, nor do I plan to do so. I don't plan to see the movie. I've familiarized myself with the concepts in the book. The premise offends me, and having suffered through 'Deception Point', also by Dan Brown, earlier this year, my main justification for not wanting to experience 'the Code' is the fact that my other experience with his writing was slow, plodding, cheesy, and forgettable. I'd rather spend my entertainment dollars on something I have the potential to like and not have my core values and beliefs offended by.

Do I hate Dan Brown and Tom Hanks and call for a boycott of the film? No. I'm not an ignorant reactionary like those who are calling for this. I credit the man with selling a huge number of books and being very successful in his field. I congratulate him on having his book turned into a feature film and all the rewards that come with that. I just disagree with the promotion of the film as factual, and I am also surprised at the ease with which people involved in the entertainment industry take such liberties with people's faith and defend it as 'a jolly good story.'

Ian McKellan who plays a pivotal role in the film was quoted as saying,
"Well, I've often thought the Bible should have a disclaimer in the front saying this is fiction..."


I can understand why 'Sir' McKellen would choose not to respect the Bible or Christianity for that matter, but I think this comment is telling. I think it pretty much neatly sums up the double-standard so prevalent in the media.

Some Christians have chosen to protest 'The Da Vinci Code.' I personally don't think that it's worth the effort, as apparently, it's not that great anyway. What's telling is that protests and calls for boycotts are pretty much the only reaction people are having to the negative.

For comparison, let's take a moment and imagine if the story revolved around Mohammed. We all know that cartoons don't go over terribly well in the Muslim world, so imagine the repercussions. I guess the vilification of Christianity for entertainment purposes is ok because Christians don't typically go on homicidal rampages and call for beheadings?

Interesting how the peaceful faith takes all the flack while the expansionist violent faith is revered.

Such are the times we live in.


Technorati Tags:
, , , , , , , , , , ,