Saturday, March 21, 2009

The finer things

I finally managed to override my son's hardcoded genetic programming
and get him off the computer long enough to come outside and play a
bit. Of course he is dressed as batman as is usual.

As I sit here and watch them play I am reminded of the innocence I
once had as a child and I wish that just for a moment I could feel
that again.

Of course as an adult I don't have that privelege anymore so I have to
seek the fun in any situation; to see the silver lining in anything. I
have to remind myself periodically that the things I stress over are
transitory and that the sun will in fact come up tomorrow.

I believe that. It still doesn't diminish my wish to be able to see
the world as a child again if only for a moment.

That I suppose is the true beauty of parenthood; that I can peer
between the gnarled fingers of time as she strains to cover my eyes
with adult concerns. That by watching my children play I can in fact
see through the eyes of a child once more.