Monday, February 14, 2005

Immortality May Be Closer Than it Appears

My daughter was born this past Wednesday, hence the lack of updates. Not that anyone notices but myself, but still, I didn't want me to think I wasn't going to follow through with this.

She is the most beautiful little thing I've ever seen; so small and fragile, with such delicate little features I'm amazed she's even real. My wife may remember this past nine months, but to me it's a blur. I'm still in shock it's over and she's here, only 14 months after her brother. She's got a lot to live up to. Her brother is the sweetest, cutest, best behaved little boy I've ever seen.

I'm inclined to believe the similiarities won't stop at their looks. I can tell already she's going to be a true sweetheart. She craves her mother's touch. She hates her bassinet, much preferring the warmth of her mother. She's asleep most of the time, which is only normal, but for those few minutes when she opens her little eyes and peers at me, I feel like the most important person in her world. My son is the same way, when he smiles at me with those bright, perfect eyes, and tiny little teeth beaming, all seems right in the world.

It's truly amazing that just a few days ago, I'd never seen my daughter except on a songram screen. Now, when I hold her, I feel like I've known her forever, and loved her forever. The fact that one little person can inspire so much love gives me hope.

Life isn't great right now for my family, mostly because of my in-laws. We simply do not work well as a team. However, one glimpse of my son's smiling face, or my daughter's tiny eyes, and all the things that are unpleasant don't really matter anymore.

For the first time since my son was born, I think...I know I can make things right for us. I have to. I owe them. They are my gift to this world, and God's gift to me.