Wednesday, February 2, 2005

Somniac

I don't understand; I can't remember when it changed. When did I lose the ability to stay up until 4 am, crash for three hours and go a full day without being tired? I can remember doing that most of my life but for some strange reason it just doesn't work. I'm not old, I'm 27, so that's not a factor. Anyone, incidentally who claims 27 is old, can go take a long walk off a short pier.

Sure, daily life is stressful and hectic, but it's not fair. It's not right. It's not...cool. I have always viewed sleep as a rather unwelcome intrusion into my life, and perhaps never moreso than now. Now that I have websites to design, and things to write, and time to do it and I find myself unable to focus, and needing to collapse into the abyss known as sleep.

It feels somewhat like a switch gets flipped...my brain goes into screensaver mode, and I can feel the energy level inside my consciousness scaling back and shutting off to conserve itself. I hate it. I hate it all and I will fight it. With caffeine and cold water to the face.

I warn you fatigue..back off. You got your 7 hours in last night, and you're going to get less tonight. We'll see who's going to win this one.