Thursday, February 23, 2006

Damaged by Delta Wave Deficiency


I've spent entirely too much time conscious the past few days. Aeryn's sleeping habits have somehow gone from flawless to non-existant. She used to go down around 8 pm and sleep through the night. Now, whether due to teething, her ear infection, or alien abduction, she's decided that it's time to unleash her weapon of mental destruction upon us. That being the dreaded superweapon callled sleep deprivation.


I should consider myself lucky, really. Jack and Aeryn have almost since birth been perfect sleepers. Only when there is a real problem do we typically have to deal with late night wake-ups. But not now. Making matters worse is the fact that Kelly does not handle loss of sleep well. To be fair, neither do I, but Kelly tends to turn into Mrs. Hyde. Yesterday morning she literally jerked me awake by grabbing my arm and pulling me onto my back, demanding to know where I put the car keys. Fun times, but at least I got an apology out of it.


Last night, Aeryn finally went to bed around 4 am. The night before, she crashed out around 3:40, and the night before that, she felt sleep was un-necessary both for her or us. I haven't attempted to function on this little sleep since before we got married, and I'm finding that at 28, it's not as easy to shrug off as it once was. Tonight, just to make it home I needed to stop by Sheetz and grab an energy drink. I really don't want to make a habit of pouring that high-octane crap into my gullet, but these days it's almost impossible not to. Back in my younger, gaming days, it was nothing to pound that stuff; six packs of Jolt Cola were nothing to me. Now, an entire 16 oz. 'energy drink with the coolest looking can and strongest warning' is just barely enough to keep me going.


In fact, I'm at E-drink plus two hours and starting to fade pretty quickly. Kelly is comforting Aeryn right now, and I have no idea if it'll be successful. We'll see. I think if I could just manage to crash out for about a week straight I might be ok.


On a side note, I watched the '96 version of Romeo & Juliet today. Why? Because it was on and I was too tired to get the remote. Luckily, it actually wasn't as bad as I expected. I appreciated the transposition of the story into a modern context; I always enjoy new and refreshing takes on material, Shakespeare or otherwise.


Enough typing. More caffiene. Just call me Cornholio.