Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Insert Witty Title Here

8 inches of snow and a couple days later, I've decided to grace the internet with my presence once more. Jack gave me a good scare the other day; we were in the bedroom and I had repeatedly stopped him from jumping on the bed. He decided to do it again anyway, and before I could react he landed face first on the hardwood desk which backs up to the bed. (It's an unconventional arrangement, but it works.)

I scooped him up in my arms in no more than a half-second after the impact; it was another few seconds before the look of sheer terror on his face gave way to screams. I carried him out of the room and brought him out to the living room with Kelly where we noticed that he'd split his gums over his right front tooth and he was bleeding a bit from them. I spent the next day completely mortified that the tooth was loose and he'd lose his beautiful little smile; thankfully, that doesn't appear to be the case. He was his old happy self in minutes, and aside from occasionally 'favoring it' when he eats (a behavior I think has more to do with his split gums) there've been no other indications that anything's wrong. I've beaten myself up pretty hard about it. I was only a foot away from him; I just don't know why I couldn't have reacted just a tiny bit faster. I should have caught him.

Kelly's been trying to drill into my head that he's ok, and it was an accident, but that still doesn't excuse the fact that I'm his dad and I should have been able to stop it. It's these little moments when things like this sneak into my life that make me remember the flip side to being a parent. The fact that from time to time my children will get into accidents and get their share of cuts and scrapes, and I can't be there to stop them all.

Aeryn, my still toothless one year old daughter took some more steps toward walking today. She managed to walk across the entire living room, then promptly collapsed to the floor giggling.

Jack continues to amaze me. The other day he peered out the car window and said 'bank'. I asked him what he'd said, and he repeated it. It was only then that I noticed there actually was a bank there. That's getting to be a fairly common ocurrance; he'll blurt out things from time to time that make me think he's actually beginning to read...he's smarter than a lot of other kids I've seen his age, and his speech is getting clearer every day. In fact, just this morning he was singing along with the alphabet song; I only noticed he was singing with it from the letter 's', but he finished out the whole alphabet flawlessly. My kids are the greatest things ever.