Tuesday, March 8, 2005

A Sound like No Other

I made an interesting discovery the other night. I was listening to music in iTunes, playing around with different genres, and trying to find something to relax to; I needed a change from my usual standard metal.

By sheer chance, I happened across a girl named Hayley Westenra. I'd never heard of her before, and really had no idea what to expect. Looking through the songs on her CD, I found Amazing Grace, which for some reason is one of those songs that moves me every time I hear it. So, I clicked on the track to preview it.

My impression? I really don't know how to describe her voice and actually do it justice. I have serious doubts that even angels sound that beautiful. Hearing her voice made every care I had at the moment simply vanish; I could literally feel myself becoming more and more calm.

Of course, the 30 second preview soon ended, and I sampled everything else on the disc. At that point, the 'purchase album' button must have cringed with fear due to the alarming speed with which my cursor approached. Within a minute I was $9.99 poorer, and tremendously satisfied.

I thought at one time that Charlotte Church had an incredible voice, but there is no comparison here. They are similar in style and range perhaps, but that's where it ends. I don't think I've ever been this satisfied with an album I've bought, nor this impressed with someone's singing ability.