Friday, July 14, 2006

Silver Bullet, Meet Silver Cuffs

Oh the sweet, sweet irony.

Beer magnate and former Republican U.S. Senate candidate Pete Coors was arrested on a drunken-driving charge and is due to appear in court next week.

"I should have planned ahead for a ride," Coors said Thursday in a written statement. "For years, I've advocated the responsible use of our company's products. That's still my message, and our company's message. I am sorry that I didn't follow it myself."

Incidentally,

In 1994, Coors Brewing Co. had a fatality related to an employee's drunken driving.

Employee Alfredo Rodriguez, 56, drove for less than a mile on company grounds before he slammed into a utility pole, was thrown from his car and died.

Reports say Rodriguez consumed at least a case of beer.

An investigation revealed Rodriguez had been drinking on the job because open beer taps were available to employees in the cafeteria at Coors.

DenverPost.com - Pete Coors apologizes in drunk driving case