Monday, September 11, 2006

RetARTed

I tend to think of myself as an art purist; I enjoy it for its own sake. I've never been one to find political or social messages in artwork appealing. I look at art as the expression of creativity, but I look at art with an agenda as...well...not art.

I do understand the desire to express ones beliefs in a creative outlet, but when you push a specific agenda, just call it what it is, be it a political, religious, or social commentary.

I also have a very low tolerance for 'political art' that pushes not just a particular agenda, but an ill-thought out one. Case in point, the latest escapade by the notorious 'Banksy.'
A life-size replica of a Guantanamo Bay detainee has been placed in Disneyland by "guerrilla artist" Banksy.

The figure, complete with orange jumpsuit, was placed inside the Rocky Mountain Railroad ride last weekend.

A spokeswoman for Banksy said the stunt was intended to highlight the plight of terror suspects at the controversial detention centre in Cuba.
What in the hell is that supposed to mean? The 'plight' of terror suspects? What the fuck? It's not like those people are at Gitmo because they're grade-school teachers and all around nice guys. They are suspected of being or helping TERRORISTS. People who fucking KILL people to get their point across. Like shrewd self-promoters like the 'mysterious' Banksy, terrorists usually choose their M.O. because they know no better way to effect change and thus have to resort to their 'stunts.'

Bansky himself doesn't even consider his 'work' to be 'art'
"I don't know. We were talking about this the other day. I'm using the word vandalism a lot with the show. You know what hip-hop has done with the word 'nigger' - I'm trying to do that with the word vandalism, bring it back."
How admirable. I rest my case.

Banksy targets Disneyland