Friday, June 1, 2007

I'm Not Your Cabin-Boy

One of the strange phenomena I've seen since working in the car business is the strange need some people have when talking to you on the lot to treat you as their personal errand-boy.  An example: 'I'd like to see the inside of this car, go get the keys.'

A polite response to that would be to simply say 'sure' and go do it.  If I'm in a good enough mood, that's the response I'll usually give.  I'll take a little of that from time to time if I think there's an imminent sale. 

That being said, if you abuse the freebie, I can turn into a real asshole.  One actually WORTHY of being talked to like trash. I make a concerted effort to be a breath of fresh air.  I treat my customers with a lot of respect, more than many of them deserve.  Customers however, think they can just walk onto my lot and treat me like the lowest of the low, and that just won't fly.

Would you walk into a shoe store and start berating the clerk because they don't have the right color? Or how about when you're getting rung up at the register? Do you suddenly feel like being an abrasive prick and start trying to negotiate a lower price on your Nikes, even after the clerk has shown you that they really ARE the cheapest pair you're going to get?

I've been a car buyer too, and I know there are some real arrogant cocksuckers out there who give us a bad name, but please, don't assume we're all evil.  Some of us really do care and really do want to help you find a car you like, and even...gasp...get a good deal.

I'm there to make money and feed my love for cars, not to take shit from blowhard assholes who don't have the dignity to say hello before trying to wheedle down the price of a car.

If you get cocky with me and demand to look inside a car, I'll recommend you try looking in the fucking window.