Wednesday, January 4, 2006

Everybody Else is Doing It

I'm not under any illusions that more than a handful of people will ever see this site. Sure it'd be nice, but hey, I'm just one of a million guys with one too many spare moments to post inconsequential bits of his life story on the web. Over the past two years now, my wife and I have gone through a fair bit of hell. We had two children, which we wouldn't trade for the world, but Kelly had to deal with an affliction called Hyperemesis Gravidarum the whole way through both pregnancies. There were times I didn't think she'd make it. A whole bunch of medical bills and some bad luck later, and we're stuck in living arrangements we utterly loathe (more on that later) and with only one functional car, a 1996 Sable purchased for $3,000 dollars last year. It died on us after only five months, and needed over $2,000 dollars worth of work. Even still, it has over 134,000 miles on it, needs new motor mounts, a tune-up, and some serious transmission work. On top of all of that, the heater no longer works. Kelly just started a new job to try to earn some more money we can use to try to get a new place to live and a new car.

As it stands now, we share the one car between us, and have to drive everywhere fully bundled up in winter coats, hats and gloves. It makes me feel horrible to have to bundle the kids up to take them anywhere. Unfortunately, part of buying another car and looking for a place to live involves leaving the house, so do it we must.

We both have made some foolish credit decisions in the past and are paying for it in spades now. We're trying to buy a halfway decent used car, and in fact, applied to be financed for one, but we're not sure if we're going to get it or not. We should know tomorrow. If not, we're going to have to keep looking. If you're a praying person, please say a good word for us. We're good people with two sweet kids and we just need a little bit of a hand right about now. If you're feeling extra generous, you could always throw a few dollars our way using the new nifty donation button I added. Truth be told, I'd be ecstatic if someone out there cared enough to send even a token amount. I'm sure not expecting it, but who knows. I have nothing to offer in return but my sincere thanks, so I guess I'll see.

We're trying to get a 2004 Kia Optima (no Kia cracks, please, we had one once and loved it.) Even if nobody out there sends us a dime, I'm ok with that. I'm not expecting a penny, but I'm hoping for a prayer.