Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Spirits, Stress and Sickness

It's been an interesting few days. On Sunday Kelly and I were visiting my parents, as is our weekly ritual. We'd just finished dinner and had moved into the living room while mom and dad stayed in the kitchen to finish up the dishes. The kids were playing quietly on the floor, and I stretched out on my stomach on the couch, propping myself up to see Kelly who sat in the recliner immediately beside the couch. As we were talking, I noticed her eyes briefly look away and start 'tracking' something left-to-right behind me. She had a puzzled look on her face, so I immediately figured one of the kids had just done something unusual or bizarre. I asked her what was going on, and she replied, 'I'm not sure. Your dad's still in the kitchen, right?' It was obvious he was as the kitchen butts up against the living room and my parents were talking.

"Yeah, don't you hear Dad talking?" I asked.

"Yes, but I just saw him walk into the bathroom" Directly behind me was the main hallway which the bathroom is off of. I turned around but it was only a reflex; I knew for a fact my dad was beside me, not in the bathroom some 20 feet away. Kelly's face got noticeably pale at this point; she mentioned that she literally could not believe she hadn't heard the bathroom door close, because she was THAT certain she'd seen him cross the hallway and go in.

Nothing else even remotely bizarre happened the rest of the day or since, but that's not necessarily indicative of anything. When I was a kid, I guess around 10 or so, I had an identical experience. I was in my bedroom when I saw my Dad come in and look in on me, then turn and walk into the next bedroom, which was the empty guest room. That time, I actually went and looked in and saw an empty room. That was a different house, and a different era though.

For Kelly to admit she saw something like that, something she can't explain, is really saying something. Other weird things have happened in my parents house before this though; ever since my grandmother passed away, we get weird images on photos we take over there...sometimes we get the fabled 'orbs'. I know the difference between a dirty lens, dust in the air, and something that shouldn't be there thanks. My Dad happens to be a pro photographer so I'm somewhat familiar with a camera.

In addition, for years my mom has been finding pennies all around the house in really bizarre locations, places where there really shouldn't be anything, let alone money. On one occasion, I was standing in the kitchen talking to my mom around noon when all of the sudden, a penny hit the counter and rattled to a stop as if it had been spun. Mom and I looked at each other in disbelief, as nobody was anywhere near where the penny hit.

Who knows?

Jack and I have been down with the beginning stages of bronchitis, which is always fun, and on top of that, we're waiting to hear back regarding a new place to live, which I'm sure has helped wear me down to the point where I caught this bug from Jack. Aeryn and Kelly are safe thus far, I hope it stays that way.