Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Television is the Antichrist

We're sitting here in the living room watching kids TV shows. More precisely, Kelly is sleeping on the couch, Jack is watching Blue's Clues, and I'm sitting here with the computer on my lap. Now that I've successfully managed to illustrate the situation, I've got a few thoughts on TV.

While I was selling cars, I virtually never watched TV. I lost track of Battlestar Galactica, which was my favorite show at the time, and now I really couldn't care whether I pick back up with it or not. It's a little odd to actually be home so much and get to watch so much TV. I forgot exactly how little I really liked it to begin with.

Jack loves Blue's Clues, the Wiggles, Dora the Explorer and Go Diego Go. I've watched about 700 episodes of each, and I can still tolerate them. Dora and Diego are a little creepy with their oversized eyes. I think they wait for the parents watching the show to look away so they can do something obscene. They also get into these situations where they want the kids watching to shout out a word, so they'll say something like "You have to say backpack. Say backpack!" That in and of itself is quite harmless, but it's the unnaturally long pause they then take while staring unflinchingly at my son. He stares back. They seem to wait about 5 seconds too long for the kids to actually respond. Maybe I'm just being weird, but it creeps me out.

All in all the kids shows seem to be pretty good. I wish I could say the same for the stuff Kelly watches, but I just can't. I love her to death, but she's an avid watcher of 7th Heaven. There I said it. I married a 7th Heaven fan. Every week, it's virtually the same setup. One of the kids says or does something, or avoids saying or doing something, which causes some colossal misunderstanding amongst the rest of the family. Hilarity ensues. (Not really, but that's the intent.) Then at the end of the episode, there's a big preachy resolution and the kid gets in some sort of minor trouble for causing the whole shenanigan. All of this set to acoustic guitar riffs.

It's either that or some show about people buying a house, remodeling a house, remodeling a yard, building a house for poor people, cleaning out a house, having a fashion makeover or a baby. In and of themselves, the shows aren't THAT bad...well, some of them are. What really drives me insane is the fact that they deem it necessary to play about 15 of them in a row.

Ugh. Yes, I hate TV.