Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Beltway Sniper Is Guilty - Again

In October, 2002, I lived about 30 miles north of Montgomery County, Maryland where the sniper attacks were taking place. I remember watching people duck behind things while gassing up their cars, and seeing people holding placards at gas stations proclaiming 'Don't Be Afraid, We'll Pump For You!' People were mortified to be out in public. Stores and malls were virtually empty, and I can remember getting cold chills as I stood filling my car.

I also remember hearing a tremendous number of police cars screaming down the highway near my house late one night with sirens blaring; half an hour later, it was announced that the snipers had been arrested. Their next target would have been my hometown, and taken place less than a mile from my home. They planned to hit the local Outback Steakhouse.

Suffice it to say, I'm relieved to hear that yet another jury made the right decision.

Washington-area sniper John Allen Muhammad was convicted of six more of the killings Tuesday after a trial in which he acted as his own attorney and the prosecution's star witness was his young protege and partner in crime, Lee Boyd Malvo.

Muhammad, 45, is already under a death sentence in Virginia for a killing there. The most he can get for the six Maryland slayings is life in prison without parole.

(Source: AP/Breitbart)