Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Mexicans Undeterred by National Guard

President Bush's decision to send the National Guard to the Mexican border drew an angry response from migrants who said troops would not deter them, while Mexico's government said Monday it would respect the U.S. action as "a sovereign decision."

One paragraph in and this article is already getting under my skin. First, not the use of the term 'migrants' instead of 'illegal immigrants' or 'illegal aliens'. Because they're now 'migrants' we can have the warm fuzzy feeling we're supposed to have for them.

Second, of course troops aren't going to deter the 'migrants.' Does the presence of a cop always deter criminals?

Lastly, how courteous of our Mexican friends to respect our 'sovereign decision.' Thanks, Vicente, we were really hoping you'd respect it. I hope you respect it slightly more than your civilians respect our mutual border.

"I have no work in my country so if the soldiers turn me back, I will try again," said Raul Garduno, a 28-year old Salvadoran.

Because he so loves the United States that he's willing to violate its laws in order to get here.

In a migrant shelter in Ciudad Juarez, a group of 10 Central Mexicans and Central Americans watched a soap opera while Bush's speech was broadcast live on the other channel.

"People here have more important things to do then watch Bush," said Carlos Amado Luarca, a Dominican monk who works in the shelter. "This plan to send soldiers is one more sign of the decadence of the American empire."

The decadence of the American empire? Wow, how Islamic of you. I always love the 'decadent empire' comments, as they make my job so much easier. I don't have to waste my time explaining what a total clueless moron this guy is.

Which country is supporting the takeover of its neighbor through unrestricted settlement? If you want to play the Imperialist game, make sure you're not on the wrong side.

Along the border in Nuevo Laredo, across from Laredo, Texas, Honduran Antonio Auriel said he would make it into the United States whatever was in his path.

"Soldiers in the border? That won't stop me. I'll swim the river and jump the wall. I'm going to arrive in the United States," Auriel said.

And maybe he should try out for the Iron Man once he gets here. In all seriousness, these people put an insane amount of effort into sneaking in and boasting about how they want to do it. If someone was bragging about how they were going to break into my house, even if they had to swim across a river and jump my fence and that even the police wouldn't deter them, I'd be more than a little pissed off.

I'd also call that a threat.

I'm so tired of hearing how these people come here to earn money to support their families and make a better life for themselves. If you want to support your family, the first thing you can do is be a role model, and respect the laws of the country you want so badly to be a part of.

Don't sneak into our country, forge documents to get a job, and bring your whole family here to drain our welfare system and expect that we're going to be happy about it. Stop crying racism to get sympathy, and stop trying to tell us we're the criminals.

Technorati Tags:
, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,