Thursday, April 27, 2006

Welcome to Paradise

Typically, when I go in for a haircut, I'll go to a little hole-in-the-wall shop in a strip mall that smells of tobacco and cigars and looks like a taxidermist's portfolio. I usually come out satisfied with the cut, but not terribly enthusiastic about the Nascar/hunting/fishing chat I was just forced to have with the 65 year old male barber, and even less satisfied about having to tip him for it.

There's a man in Massachusetts that feels my pain, and he's doing something about it. Peter Carlino is attempting to get permission from the town of Salem to open a new kind of barber shop. One where your hair is cut by an attractive woman, wearing the lingerie of your choice. The shop is called 'Paradise Cuts' appropriately enough.

I am fully aware of the arguments against this idea. Sure, it objectifies women. So do countless bars and clubs and saturday morning parking-lot carwashes. The fact is, women continue to participate in those activities, making them lucrative. This is no different. I wouldn't take my two year old son there for a trim, but you'd better believe that given the choice between having my hair cut by a ZZ-top reject or by an attractive woman whose outfit I get to pick when I make the appointment, there's really not much of a decision to be made. This is, in layman's terms, a 'no-brainer.'


Technorati Tags:
, , , ,